Saturday, December 7, 2013

Winter Drapery

We are having a late start to our watery winter weather this year (at least I hope it will be wetter than the last couple years).  Last night we had our first winter storm from this arctic blast coming down from Canada.  The snow is not water laden as in past years, but there is still moisture, and I am thankful for that. We received about a 9 inch snowfall from this first storm.

At our elevation in the Sierra Nevada foothills we usually don't accumulate snow throughout the winter months.  Maybe we will get three to four snowfalls from a few inches or into the teens, then mostly rain.  The snow that falls usually sticks around for a couple weeks then it is gone.

These weather changes offer a wonderful diversion to the dry, brown drabbieness from our Mediterranean climate offerings in the summer and fall months. Each year I try to capture some of the peaceful beauty through snapshots.  The trees are especially pretty draped in winter snow.

I know there are many beautiful, more magnificent places on this earth, but this home is my little piece of heaven.

I wish our grandchildren could be up here.  I know they would be enjoying the snow. 

A Bay Oak draped in snow.  This oak does not lose its leaves in the winter.

A beautiful Sierra Redwood wearing her winter finery.  I think she would look stunning with a drapery of  twinkling lights. 
A winter yard scene.

Another winter yard scene

And, another of our yard scenes.


 Happy day to all who have ventured to this page.

Jan

0 comments:

Post a Comment